CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Quote of the Month

I love quotes and talks from our brethren, so here is another one.

Hope Overcomes Despair; Firm Hope

"The scriptures say that there must be 'an opposition in all things' (2 Nephi 2:11). So it is with faith, hope, and charity. Doubt, despair, and failure to care for our fellowmen lead us into temptation, which can cause us to forfeit choice and precious blessings."The adversary uses despair to bind hearts and minds in suffocating darkness. Despair drains from us all that is vibrant and joyful and leaves behind the empty remnants of what life was meant to be. Despair kills ambition, advances sickness, pollutes the soul, and deadens the heart. Despair can seem like a staircase that leads only and forever downward."Hope, on the other hand, is like the beam of sunlight rising up and above the horizon of our present circumstances. It pierces the darkness with a brilliant dawn. It encourages and inspires us to place our trust in the loving care of an eternal Heavenly Father, who has prepared a way for those who seek for eternal truth in a world of relativism, confusion, and of fear. . .Hope is not knowledge, but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promise to us. It is confidence that if we live according to God's laws and the words of His prophets now, we will receive desired blessings in the future. It is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance."In the language of the gospel, this hope is sure, unwavering, and active. The prophets of old speak of a 'firm hope' (Alma 34:41) and a 'lively hope' (1 Peter 1:3). It is a hope glorifying God through good works. With hope comes joy and happiness. With hope, we can 'have patience, and bear . . . [our] afflictions' (Alma 34:41)."

Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Infinite Power of Hope," Ensign, Nov. 2008

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hey Katie, its Shelby "Mayo" - How are you? I just read your note on Steve and Whitney Vrskas blog (Steve is my cousin) and was so excited to see you on there! You and your hubby are so dang cute! I am excited to keep up with you guys now! Our blog is www.vanwagonermemories.blogspot.com

Whitney said...

I loved this talk/quote as well! Thanks for commenting on my blog! You look great! I didn't know you were on the BYU soccer team (I could have guessed) My husband is graduating in April from there and we are so excited! I am glad to hear things are going well for you! Keep intouch

Sherri Romney said...

What an uplifting post! I love reading things like that. I am so excited we're gonna do the class together! It is just a couple hours, right?? We are drivin up thurs I think but we should hang out with our guys after??? Can't wait to see ya!
Sher

Jen and Lance said...

I LOVE that! I'll need to go read that talk now. It was so good to see you for that quick second the other day. I miss you! We need to get together more often and specially before you guys leave for the summer! Hope all is well!

Jordan said...

Hi Corby! This is Jordan (Brinkerhoff) Parks. I just stumbled upon your cute blog and it made me laugh because - guess where I'm at right now?... Puerto Rico!! We're visiting my parents for spring break. I hear yall are graduating next month - congratulations!!
Jordan
ps - quintonandjordan.blogspot.com

Sherri Romney said...

I love reading your posts. I need to read things like that a lot more often than I do. Can't wait to see you TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!! Yay.

Tamany said...

Hey Katie-

Your mom tipped me off to your blog. Love it! She shares your quotes with me now and again for my seminary class and they come with impeccable timing! Thanks so much. If ya'll come to Texas, look us up.

Tamany

Frazier Family said...

Sorry Sorry Sorry :) I should have told you we were coming in town. I'm glad you post things like this.